Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Worrywart




The Worrywart


It's no secret, at least to most of YMO, that I was nervous before coming on this trip. And it wasn't because of the 100 degree heat. Or the power tools. Or even the scorpions. I was nervous because of the food. Yes.  I said it. Out of all the life-threatening conditions in the desert, the thing that scared me the most about this trip was the food. I know you're probably sitting there thinking, "Wait, this girl is crazy! She's afraid of food? Everyone loves food!" But, for me, food is different.

The summer going into my freshman year, so about three years ago, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called celiac disease. This means that I had to go on an entirely gluten free diet for the rest of my life. You read that right: for the rest of my life. This meant no more cookies, no more bread, no more pasta, no more regular food.

So naturally, when Father Chris made plans for us to come to Utah this summer, I got anxious. I mean, we're quite a few miles from the nearest grocery store, and even then, cooking gluten free food is a whole other animal. You have to use different cooking utensils and cutting boards and ingredients, obviously, to ensure that the food doesn't contain a trace of gluten. It's a lot to handle, I know. That's why I was so worried about my food. I had millions of questions swirling through my brain. Who will cook for me? Will they understand the concepts of gluten free cooking? Will they know to check labels before cooking things? Will I be okay?

I think my parents were equally, if not more, nervous than I was. They basically bought a whole kitchen-- pots, pans, serving spoons, cutting boards, colanders, measuring cups, measuring spoons-- for me to bring. We packed a plastic bin to the brim with Libby-friendly food-- everything from gluten free pasta and oreos to Kind bars and GoGo Squeez applesauce. We were honestly equipped for the worst.

Look back to last week, it seems ridiculous how apprehensive I was. The two chefs we have, Chef Al and Chef Brad, are amazing. For every single meal we've had here-- breakfast, lunch, and dinner-- they've cooked me completely gluten free meals. Before every single meal, they ask me about whether or not certain ingredients are gluten free, and they always keep the labels of packaged goods for me to check over. They cook all of my food on a separate side of the stove, away from the bubbling pots of gluten, just for extra precaution. The care that these two men have put into cooking for me is unbelievable. No matter how many times I thank them, they'll truly never know how much I appreciate their efforts.

This is what YMO is all about. We accept people for who they are. We are one family, no matter the differences we have. We do not judge people about their lifestyle necessities and choices. We love each other, we love God, and He loves us. This group is a group full of compassion, spirituality, and grace, so much so that worry and apprehension are completely unnecessary.

My time in Bluff, Utah has made me realize what I have right in front of me. I have a group of some of my best friends, a group of people who care so much about our mission here and each other. There was no need for me to be worried about my food. No reason for me to be afraid. Because in YMO we are taught to "be here now," which doesn't include worrying. We are taught to live in the moment, to forget about what happened in the past or what's going to happen in the future. This trip has taught me to live my life-- whether it be about food or friends or school-- sans apprehension.

Wishing you a worry-free day,
Libby Morris


-Goal Oriented-


There is no question that I set goals for myself. Simply stated, goals are motivational. When I complete a goal, I feel a strong sense of achievement. If you know me personally, you know that I am a list oriented person. I have lists for everything be it going grocery shopping or remembering to bring something home from school. Whenever I complete a goal, it is something for me to check off one of my infinite to-do lists.

Even if you aren't a "list person" you probably still have goals: get good grades, get enough sleep, keep a positive attitude, hold a good job, get married. Sound familiar? If these goals weren't labeled as such, would they still hold such significance upon completion? Father Chris challenged the group with these questions last night, and I'm not sure I even have a sound opinion, let alone the correct answer. So much of my life is focused on goals I've set for myself; I have no idea how my life would be without them. Our entire mission trip is working towards a goal. We are trying to build a Hogon in a week. Without goals would we make any progress? If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

For now, I have a good number of small, relatively practical goals: get good grades, get enough sleep, keep a positive attitude. I also have a list of long-term, life goals: graduate from college, hold a "successful" job, get married, have children. One of my big goals is to travel the world (which is completely cliche, I know). I've always wanted to go to Greece and Italy and Africa and Thailand. Bluff, Utah has never been at the top of my list, or even on my list for that matter. After spending only a few days here, it is clear that it is a worthy destination. To give you a little visual (in case you haven't seen the amazing pictures up on the blog), I imagine the planet Mars looking very similar to this place, only with aliens and less shrubbery. The land is undisturbed, and I have never been in a place so vast and open. This morning was the first time I've seen a cloud since arriving in Bluff, and it's already Wednesday! At night, it is so quiet I can hear myself breathing, which gives me the opportunity to remind myself of the things that are really important to me, not to focus so much on my goals.

I have never been on a mission trip before. I anticipated hot weather and hard work, but beyond that I had absolutely no idea what to expect.  The facilities are much nicer than I expected. Our lodging is fully equipped with air conditioning and the showers are hot with decent water pressure, which leaves me with no complaints. The space we've been provided is exactly what we need. There is nothing excessive, but it serves its purpose to provide us with shelter so we can do the work of the Lord with minimal snafus.

Of course, a trip wouldn't be complete without a few hitches. The bus did get stuck on the road the first day and the drains in the kitchen sinks no longer drain correctly, but it is these little things that bring us closer as a group, which is one of YMO's main goals this week. It helps that we adhere to a strict "no drama policy," which keeps these issues in perspective and helps turn these events into funny stories quickly. That's all they are though. Stories. We will come home from this trip (hopefully) better people than we were when we set off Saturday morning. We will come home with stories about how fulfilling our experience was and how wonderful the food was and how nice the people were. Even though it makes wonderful dinnertime conversation, we experienced these things we can't wait to share with you in the past. It is how we use the things from these stories to make our lives more meaningful going forward to live the truth. To live in the moment.    

Ever mindful,
Claire Hultquist (17) 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share!